Position Type: Fixed term, part-time, flexible schedule (20 hours/week) for 15 weeks
Hourly Wage: $20.00 per hour
Location: Halifax West, Nova Scotia (working virtually as per public health restrictions)
Start Date: September 1, 2021
Language: Primary working language is English, French language skills are an asset (indicate language skills in cover letter or resume)
Eligibility: This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs - applicants must be between 15 and 30 years of age, be legally eligible to work in Canada, and a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or have refugee status.
Reports to: Atlantic Regional Manager
Application Deadline: July 14, 2021, at 4:00 p.m. (Atlantic Time)
Community-Based Research Centre (CBRC) promotes the health of gay, bi, trans, Two-Spirit, and queer men (GBT2Q) through research and intervention development. CBRC’s core pillars – community-led research, knowledge exchange, network building, and leadership development – position the organization as a thought leader, transforming ideas into actions that make a difference in our communities. CBRC was incorporated in 1999 and is a non-profit charitable organization. Our main office is located in Vancouver, British Columbia; we also have satellite offices located in Edmonton, Toronto, and Halifax.
Working under the supervision of the Atlantic Regional Manager the Research Support Officer (RSO) will support data analysis and knowledge translation activities for several CBRC programs and projects. This includes analyzing evaluation data from interventions, focus groups, stakeholder interviews, and online feedback. The RSO will strengthen their skills in qualitative and quantitative research, writing and communication, 2SLGBTQIA+ cultural competency, and awareness of key STBBI issues. The RSO will work with team members from across Canada.
- Preparing summaries and reports of data gathered from program evaluation;
- Work with local team members to determine best means of knowledge transfer and exchange (KTE) of existing data;
- Assist in the implementation of various community-facing leadership programs (i.e., Pivot, Investigaytors)
- Collaborate with CBRC’s staff, contractors, and external stakeholders to implement all tasks; this includes coordinating meetings, acting as a liaison between stakeholders, and maintaining ongoing communications; and
- Uphold and embody community-based research and applied ethics principles by working with community and organizational stakeholders to implement all tasks.
Other Qualifications and Skills
- Experience with quantitative and/or qualitative research and/or data (e.g., surveys, statistics) is an asset;
- Awareness of 2SLGBTQIA+ community-based cultural and political values and sensitivities, including experience working with Indigenous Two-Spirit and QTBIPOC people;
- Experience with developing and delivering community-facing training or educational materials;
- Moderate experience with group facilitation;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Capacity to prioritize tasks and function under tight and/or competing deadlines;
- Autonomous worker with an ability to adapt and work within a team setting;
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with partners from varying sectors including academic, government and community agencies;
- Effective critical analysis and problem-solving skills; and
- Bilingual (English and French language) skills are an asset.
This position supports hiring, based on the following Canada Summer Jobs priorities:
- youth who self-identify as being part of underrepresented groups, or having barriers to entering or staying in the labour market
- disabled youth/youth with disabilities
- new immigrant/refugee youth
- racialized youth
- 2SLGBTQIA+ youth
We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-identify which of these priority groups they belong to in their cover letter.
How to Apply
All applicants are required to provide a cover letter and a resume. Please email your application to Human Resources at [email protected], with the subject line: Research Support Officer, Halifax.
If this process presents barriers, please get in touch via email with the subject line Access: Research Support Officer or call us at (604) 568-7478 to discuss alternative formats for submitting an application.
The deadline to apply for this position is July 14, 2021, at 4:00 p.m. Atlantic Time
CBRC believes in work led by and for the community. As part of our commitment to employment equity, we encourage applications from lesbian, gay, bi, trans, queer and non-binary people, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour, Two-Spirit people, people living with HIV, people living with Hepatitis C, people living with chronic health conditions, disabled people/people with disabilities, and other people with fabulous and diverse identities and experiences.