Position Type: Full-time, Fixed-term
Annual Salary: $55,000
Schedule: 37.5 hours weekly
Start Date: February 16, 2023 (flexible)
End Date: March 31, 2024, with possibility of extension (contingent on funding)
Location: Remote, within Canada
Language: English; French language skills are an asset
Reports to: Finance Manager
Application Deadline: January 18, 2023 at 11:59 pm PT
Community-Based Research Centre (CBRC) promotes the health of people of diverse sexualities and genders through research and intervention development. CBRC’s core pillars – community-led research, knowledge exchange, network building, and leadership development – position the organization as a thought leader, transforming ideas into actions that make a difference in our communities. CBRC was incorporated in 1999 and is a non-profit charitable organization. Our main office is located in Vancouver, British Columbia, and we also have satellite offices located in Edmonton, Toronto, and Halifax.
CBRC believes in work led by and for the community. As part of our commitment to employment equity, we encourage applications from queer, trans and non-binary people, Indigenous, Black and people of colour (IBPOC) individuals, Two-Spirit people, people living with HIV, people living with Hepatitis C, disabled people, 2SLGBTQQIA+ women, and other people with fabulous and diverse identities and experiences. CBRC acknowledges that not everyone is able to publicly disclose these identities, and this role does not expect that employees will disclose in the course of their work.
This position will fill an important role at CBRC, supporting the large, growing team of 55 employees, their programs, and the vast amount of important work they do with and for the sexually- and gender-diverse communities we serve. The successful applicant will work closely with the Operations team (administration, finance, and human resources), but will take a central role in the day-to-day financial administration, with plenty of support from their team.
Primary Job Responsibilities
Approximate percentages of time spent on each activity (averaged over 1 year) are provided as an estimate only, but this may develop over time, as the organization’s needs evolve.
- Full-cycle Accounts Payable (50%)
- Reviewing and preparing expenses (we currently use Dext).
- Confirming accuracy of various expense information, including coding, GST rebate claimed, descriptions, and overall consistency.
- Submitting expenses for formal approval (we currently use ApprovalMax).
- Performing a secondary review of expenses to confirm accuracy and adjust for WCB premiums (we currently use Xero accounting software).
- Processing payments by EFT, direct deposit, and cheque (we currently use Plooto).
- Supporting senior leadership team with credit card expense submission.
- Monthly credit card account expense processing and reconciliations (10%)
- Preparing internal financial reports for management (10%)
- Reclassification of expenses through journal entries and/or updating source transactions (10%)
- Overseeing, upholding, and contributing to financial processes, policies, internal controls, and providing information for grant applications (10%)
- Supporting annual audit process by providing documentation and information (5%)
- Accounts Receivable, including recording payments, maintaining records, and following up on long-overdue A/R (5%)
At CBRC, we recognize that some applicants have experienced barriers to traditional educational and employment opportunities. We consider various combinations of education, employment, volunteer, and lived experience and encourage applicants to highlight these experiences in their cover letter and resume. However, formal training in one of the following areas would be an asset:
- A minimum of 3 years' experience in a similar position.
- Background, education, or experience in bookkeeping, accounting, finance, or financial administration, with an understanding of fundamental accounting concepts including journal entries, debits and credits, account types, and reconciliations.
- Genuine attention to detail and accuracy.
- Technical and computer skills, including:
- Microsoft Excel and its basic functions (intermediate-to-advanced skill level not required but is certainly an asset).
- Google Workspace (Gmail, Sheets, Docs, Drive).
- Adobe Acrobat Pro (PDF creation, editing, combining, etc.).
Other Competencies & Qualifications (assets)
- Understanding of - and experience in - non-profit financial operations and awareness of that environment from an audit perspective (i.e. record-keeping and GST rebates).
- Experience using accounting software (we currently use Xero).
- Awareness of 2SLGBTQ+ community-based cultural and political values and sensitivities.
- Excellent communication skills including writing and/or editing documents and knowing when to seek support.
- Capacity to prioritize tasks and function under tight and/or competing deadlines.
- Autonomous worker with an ability to adapt and work within a team setting.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with partners from varying sectors including academic, government, and community agencies.
- Effective critical analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Generous vacation time, personal days, and other leave policies
- Extended health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, and Long-Term Disability
- Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP)
- Inclusive workplace
- Remote and hybrid work arrangement
- Flexible working schedule
- Kind and supportive team
How to apply
Please email your application to Human Resources at [email protected] and put the job you are applying for in the subject line (Bookkeeper). All applicants are asked to provide a cover letter and a resume. Resume and cover letter highlighting:
- Why you are interested in working for CBRC.
- What relevant experience you have (we encourage you to detail any non-profit experience, specific tasks from this job posting that you have performed, or software you have experience using).
- Anything else you would like to share with us that was not captured in your resume.
If this process presents barriers, please get in touch via email with the subject line Access: Bookkeeper to discuss alternative formats for submitting an application. Alternatively, you may call and leave us a voicemail (604-568-7478).
The deadline to apply for this position is [January 18, 2023 at 11:59pm PT].