Position Type: Temporary
Hourly Wage: $22 per hour
Schedule: Approximately 30 hours per week, including some evenings and weekends
Start Date: June 16, 2022
End Date: August 1, 2022
Language: English; French or other languages are considered assets
Reports to: Sex Now Research Manager
Location: Vancouver, BC
Travel: This role require travel through British Columbia’s cities during Pride Season. All travel costs are covered.
Eligibility: This position is funded by Canada Summer Jobs - applicants must be between 15 and 30 years of age; and be legally eligible to work in Canada
Application Deadline: June 10, 2022, at 12:00pm PST
Community-Based Research Centre (CBRC) promotes the health of people of diverse sexualities and genders through research and intervention development. CBRC’s core pillars – community-led research, knowledge exchange, network building, and leadership development – position the organization as a thought leader, transforming ideas into actions that make a difference in our communities. CBRC was incorporated in 1999 and is a non-profit charitable organization. Our main office is located in Vancouver, British Columbia, and we also have satellite offices located in Edmonton, Toronto, and Halifax.
CBRC is looking for an Event Coordinator to work closely with the Sex Now Research Manager and their team to plan and support participant recruitment during Pride Festivals throughout British Columbia. The Event Coordinator will assist the Sex Now team in planning and supporting participant recruitment during Pride Festivals for a community health study, Sex Now, focused on gay, bisexual, queer, and trans men, and Two-Spirit and non-binary people (GBT2Q). Data will be collected using smart phones and tablets. The Event Coordinator will support local project implementation, internal and external communications, and work with both the Sex Now team and external stakeholders (other community organizations, community members). In addition to coordinating on the ground logistics, the event coordinator will also support planning activities and organize meetings prior to the event. Currently there are two positions available.
Primary Job Responsibilities
- Coordinates recruitment activities in BC from design to delivery
- Recruit, coordinate, support, and coordinate volunteers, including helping to plan staffing levels at different sites
- Planning and supporting participant recruitment
- Support national recruitment logistics from Vancouver
- Logistical support (Setting up and taking down booths during events)
- Support promotion of on-site data collection
- Attending meetings before pride
- Maintain and track local equipment and inventory
- Assist participants with completion of Sex Now Survey on their devices
- Understand study protocol and Sex Now 2022 participant eligibility
- Other duties as required by the Sex Now Team
Core Competencies (critical to succeed in this role)
- Awareness of GBT2Q community-based cultural and political values and sensitivities, including experience working with Indigenous Two-Spirit, and queer and trans Indigenous, Black and other racialized people
- Experience working or volunteering with community organizations
- Experience planning and facilitating community events or groups, ideally with GBT2Q communities
- Must be between 15-30 years of age and legally able to work in Canada.
Other Competencies & Qualifications (assets)
- Attention to detail
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Tech-savvy, experience with databases and other digital communication tools such as social media for promotion and recruitment
- Bilingualism (English & French) is desirable, although any second language skills will be considered an asset
- Proven ability to work with vulnerable and historically oppressed population/people
- Prior research experience
- Valid BC Driver License is an asset but not a requirement
- Excellent communication skills including writing and/or editing documents
- Capacity to prioritize tasks and function under tight and/or competing deadlines
- Autonomous worker with an ability to adapt and work within a team setting
This position supports hiring based on the following Canada Summer Jobs priorities:
- Youth who self-identify as being part of underrepresented groups, or having barriers to entering or staying in the labour market;
- Disabled youth/youth with disabilities;
- New immigrant/refugee youth;
- Racialized youth; and
- 2SLGBTQQIA+ youth.
We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-identify which of these priority groups they belong to in their cover letter.
How to apply
Please email your application to Human Resources at [email protected] and put the job you are applying for in the subject line (Event Coordinator, Sex Now). All applicants are required to provide a cover letter and a resume.
If this process presents barriers, please get in touch via email with the subject line Access: Event Coordinator, Sex Now or call us (604-568-7478) to discuss alternative formats for submitting an application.
The deadline to apply for this position is June 10, 2022, at 12:00pm PST.
CBRC believes in work led by and for the community. As part of our commitment to employment equity, we encourage applications from queer, trans and non-binary people, Indigenous, Black and people of colour (IBPOC) individuals, Two-Spirit people, people living with HIV, people living with Hepatitis C, disabled people, 2SLGBTQQIA+ women, and other people with fabulous and diverse identities and experiences. CBRC acknowledges that not everyone is able to publicly disclose these identities, and this role does not expect that employees will disclose in the course of their work.