Position Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Annual Salary: $120,000 to $130,000
Schedule: 37.5 hours weekly (1.0 FTE) – regular working hours (approximately 9am-5pm, 5 days per week – flexible)
Location: Vancouver or Toronto
Language: Primary working language is English; French language skills are an asset
Application Deadline: February 17 (or until the position is filled)
Community-Based Research Centre (CBRC) promotes the health of people of diverse sexualities and genders through research and intervention development. CBRC’s core pillars – community-led research, knowledge exchange, network building, and leadership development – position the organization as a thought leader, transforming ideas into actions that make a difference in our communities. CBRC was incorporated in 1999 and is a non-profit charitable organization. Our main office is located in Vancouver, British Columbia, and we also have satellite offices located in Edmonton, Toronto, and Halifax.
CBRC believes in work led by and for the community. As part of our commitment to employment equity, we encourage applications from queer, trans and non-binary people, Indigenous, Black and people of colour (IBPOC) individuals, Two-Spirit people, people living with HIV, people living with Hepatitis C, disabled people, 2SLGBTQQIA+ women, and other people with fabulous and diverse identities and experiences. CBRC acknowledges that not everyone is able to publicly disclose these identities, and this role does not expect that employees will disclose in the course of their work.
The CBRC is seeking a seasoned and passionate leader to join their Executive Management Team. The successful candidate will have a strong background in the non-profit sector, fundraising knowledge and significant experience leading transformative strategic initiatives. The Executive Director will work collaboratively and meaningfully with local and regional organizations and Indigenous partners, leaders, and Elders to support people of diverse sexualities and genders, developing programs and initiatives that enhance the health and wellbeing of Canada’s Two-Spirit, queer, trans and non-binary communities.
The Executive Director is a highly skilled strategic and change leader who can navigate large, complex organizations, build capacity and can adapt to competing priorities, while leading a team of five direct reports:
- Research Director
- Knowledge Exchange and Policy Director
- Program Director
- Evaluation Director
- Operations Director
The Executive Director is a visionary, capable of thinking outside the box and bringing the vision to reality, while providing strategic direction at all levels, working collaboratively across the organization with internal and external partners.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Board Governance: Works with Board to fulfill the organization's mission.
- Responsible for leading CBRC in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- With the exception of the Executive Director Performance Review Committee, the Executive Director is a member of all Board committees.
Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of CBRC, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and quarterly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Works with the Board and Staff on fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support CBRC’s mission.
Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community-based research.
- Responsible for implementation of CBRC’s programs that carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that CBRC can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of CBRC’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Seeks partnership and collaboration opportunities with partners and stakeholders.
Organization Operations: Oversees and implements resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are aligned with CBRC's contracts and agreements.
- Responsible for effective administration of CBRC’s operations.
- Responsible for the hiring, evaluation and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all contracts, agreements, and MOU’s made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Responsible for communications and message strategy.
- Fosters collegial environment and team-building.
- Networks with stakeholders and represents the organization at meetings and events.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL HAVE
- 10+ years of experience in the areas of finance, human resources, legal and risk management combined with progressive management experience.
- 5+ years of senior level management experience in leading organizational initiatives and program development.
- Master’s in Public Health, Public Policy, Policy Research or an equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- French written and spoken is an asset.
- Experience working in the not-for-profit sector and/or public sector with demonstrated knowledge of public sector funding, policy development and programming.
- Experience in managing a multi-million dollar budget.
- Demonstrated experience with non-profit fund development and financial management.
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising initiatives, implementing strategic plans to increase funding and diversify revenue streams.
- Superior planning, organizational and administrative skills, including excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Leadership experience to supervise, mentor and coach direct reports in keeping with sound human resource management practices to build and maintain a healthy and productive work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to interact positively with internal and external stakeholders, including providing strategic advice and expertise to senior management, sector partner and Board members.
- Full understanding of government strategic directions, government policies, legislation and regulations.
- Strong stakeholder engagement and relationship skills and strategic policy and programming skills.
- Excellent analytical mindset, problem solving, negotiating, consensus building, conflict resolution and decision-making skills.
- Strong proficiency in computer and various software applications, including MS Office (Excel, Outlook, Word), Zoom.
- Strong equity, diversity and inclusion competence and experience, and a reputation for successfully transforming cultures.
- Strong understanding of 2SLGBTQQIA+ communities and Two-Spirit people.
Applications will be accepted until February 17th, or until the position is filled. If you are interested in this position, please send your application, including a cover letter and your resume to: [email protected].
Please note that only those candidates meeting the selection criteria will be contacted further. Although we may not contact you directly for this particular role, all applications will be reviewed as we would like to consider you for future opportunities that may be appropriate.
StrategiSense Consulting is a highly sought-after, learning, professional development, and talent strategy firm, committed to supporting individuals and organizations by going beyond the standard offerings, providing an end-to-end support system to ensure their success. Services include customized and signature learning programs, leadership and team coaching, talent strategy, executive search, and leadership strategy development.