Survey about Conversion Therapy in Canada

“Conversion therapy” includes practices that try to change sexual attraction to people of the same gender (e.g., felt identity as lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, etc.) or change gender identities that are different from sex assigned at birth (e.g., transgender, including non-binary). These include practices that discourage or delay the adoption of gender identities or gender expressions that are different from one’s sex assigned at birth (including practices that aim to help someone become more “accepting of one’s masculinity or femininity”). Tens of thousands of Canadians have experienced conversion therapy, and survivors are often left with emotional or psychological pain.

Researchers at Simon Fraser University, the University of British Columbia, and University of Victoria want to learn from conversion therapy survivors about how we can best support survivors in meeting their social, mental, emotional, and physical health-related needs.

If you have direct experience or indirect experience (for example, you know someone who attended conversion therapy) with “conversion therapy,” live in Canada, and are 19 years of age or older, then you may be interested in sharing about your experience by completing an online survey. For more information and to participate in the survey, visit this website. We are interested in talking with people of all genders and gender identities, including Two-Spirit people.

By participating, you will help us learn how to stop other Canadians from experiencing “conversion therapy” and how to support the survivors.

Please share this invitation with others who may be interested in the study, but also note that “liking” or sharing an image/post on social media could link you to this study (that is, do not like/share if you have any concerns about your confidentiality in relation to “conversion therapy”).

Contact: [email protected]


Disponible en français.


About CBRC

Community-Based Research Centre (CBRC) promotes the health of people of diverse sexualities and genders through research and intervention development.
Survey about Conversion Therapy in Canada
Survey about Conversion Therapy in Canada
Check out Community-Based Research Centre. I just joined.